Skip to main content

Golden Valley Unified School District
A District of Excellence

Educational Services » AB 104

AB 104

What is Assembly Bill 104 (AB-104)?


A component of AB 104 is the ability of parents/guardians and adult students to request that high school grades earned during the 2020-2021 school year be changed from a letter grade to Pass or No Pass for high school students rising to grades 10-12, as well as for students who were seniors during the 2020-2021 school year.


Grade change requests must be granted if such changes do not negatively impact a student’s GPA. There is no limit to the number of courses to which a grade change request may be made.


The bill prohibits schools from accepting grade change applications after the deadline.

How do I request a change from a letter grade to a Pass/No Pass?


Parents will be able to choose which courses they would like to have changed from the list of courses (with earned grade) their student took during each semester of the 2020-2021 school year. Individuals will have 15 days, or until 5:00 p.m. on August 17, 2021 to request a grade change and after that time no grade changes from letter grade to Pass/ No Pass will be granted.

Please utilize the AB-104 "Grade Change Application 20-21" file belowA printed and signed copy of the AB-104 Grade Change Application form will need to be dropped off or emailed to the high school counselor by the due date of August 17, 2021 in order to be processed.


Need help with this process? Please contact your high school counselor when they return to campus on August 3 for help.


Requests to have a letter grade reinstated will not be accepted.

Will having a Pass/No Pass on my transcript affect my college/university applications?

A list of California Colleges and Universities that will accept for admission purposes, and without prejudice, a transcript with a Pass or No Pass grade in lieu of a letter grade for any coursework for an applicant who was enrolled in a high school in the state of California during any school year from 2020-2021 to 2023-2024 (current 10th – 12th grade students) can be found on the CDE website at:

NOTE: It is unknown if some postsecondary educational institutions, including those in other states, may or may not accept a Pass or No Pass grade in lieu of a letter grade for admission or scholarship purposes. Please do your research on postsecondary educational institutions you might be applying to upon graduation.

Will changing to a Pass/No Pass help with Valedictorian status or other awards?
Changing a letter grade to a Pass does not make the student eligible for the Valedictorian, Salutatorian, or other awards or recognition. For example, to receive the Valedictorian Award, a student must attain all A’s, among other requirements.